The Croatian Soundscript is a sound-based app triggered by BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacons, mounted at most streetcar and bus stops in Zagreb, as well as throughout Zagreb’s historical attractions and city parks.
The app features primarily the unpublished short stories by Croatian writers and a selection of outstanding short stories written by high school students. Proximity to certain historical landmarks around the city triggers the display of quotations and excerpts from Croatian literature that were inspired by that particular location or an urban theme from the relevant time period.
The selected stories and other content are narrated by voice actors. Each audio version of the story has specially designed background sounds that thematically correspond to the narrative.
This art installation is displayed and accessed through a mobile phone app that is triggered by the BLE beacons placed in the previously mentioned locations. Users listen to the app on their own headphones.
All you have to do is install the app, put Bluetooth on and take a walk through downtown Zagreb. Each new push notification on your phone drives you towards the next story. There are 47 sound points around the city that are triggered as soon as you get within the transmitting range.
The content of the app will be changed periodically. The Croatian Soundscript is a multi-year project designed to promote Croatian literature in several foreign languages, so each successive year of the project will feature a new edition of the Croatian Soundscript. The goal is to establish a long-term platform to support the mobile app with its annual editions of written and recorded stories, wherein they serve as a “repository” of the Croatian written word or, more specifically, of literary heritage as a remembrance of the time when the stories were first created.
HOW TO USE APPLICATION :
- INSTALL THE APPLICATION “CROATIAN SOUNDSCRIPT”
- START THE APPLICATION
- ALLOW THE APPLICATION TO CONNECT TO BLUETOOTH
- WALK ALONG THE SPOTS MARKED ON THE MAP AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A PUSH NOTIFICATION WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN TO SHORT STORIES BY CROATIAN AUTHORS
- ANY LISTENED TO STORY WILL NOT BE REPEATED UNLESS YOU CLICK ON ‘LISTEN AGAIN LATER‘ WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON THE DISPLAY OF EVERY STORY
- DON’T WORRY IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO INDIVIDUAL STORIES AGAIN EVEN AFTER A LONGER PERIOD BECAUSE THERE IS AN OPTION WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO LISTEN TO A STORY AT ANY MOMENT IF YOU GO TO THE CORRECT SPOT YOU ALREADY VISITED, PLEASE CHECK THE INFO DISPLAY AGAIN
- WISHING YOU A PLEASANT LISTENING AND THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF “CROATIAN SOUNDSCRIPT” AND FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE LITTERARY CROATIAN PATRIMONY, THE PROMOTION OF THE CROATIAN LANGUAGE AND THE WRITTEN AND SOUND MEMORY OF TIME IN WHICH THE SHORT STORIES WERE CONCEIVED